.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Games I Play

This blog contains my personal written work, fiction and non-fiction. Please don’t steal any of it from me (you know the rules) or I'll have to hunt you down and whack you senseless with a heavy, wet newspaper. I started this blog because I was looking for a place to post my stories. I have come to find it's a good place to "spout off." As they say in the introduction to WWE’s Monday Night Raw, ‘Some material may be offensive to some people. Viewer discretion is advised.’

My Photo
Name:
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

In the never-ending search for ever-elusive happiness, a small semblance of stability, hair-stand-on-end adventure and distant travel, the ultimate physical conquest, the perfect meal, a peaceful moment to end a harried day, a dream that doesn’t need to come true but simply must keep returning, and certain lurid things my mom wouldn’t want anyone to read about here or anywhere else, I try to find my unique and distinct place in the world through honest and forthright means of communication. In 1997 I authored and self-published a novel about a belligerent and spirited young man in the process of meeting and ushering along his adult fate. In the advertising I created for it, I wrote a little something about myself that I'd say still applies today: "Most of all, I am prolific and dedicated ... My work expresses an intense imagination and street-wiseness. It is usually reality-based, alternately amusing and poignant; often laden with my deeply facetious sense of humour. At this point in my life, I find myself drawn to tales of misguided youth and people on the brink of insanity, and stories of folks struggling to make peace with themselves and their environment."

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Regret

A loonie.

An eleven-sided, gold-coloured coin with the queen on the front. On the back: a bird on water, CANADA DOLLAR, 1987.

Russ lifted the coin from his pants pocket only once he was sure he was out of view of the batcave beggar girl with holed fishnet stockings and a sheepish, sweet smile. He was thrown from his whimsy, and couldn't focus on where he was supposed to go next. Perturbed that he just shook his head quickly when she asked if he had any spare change. Tried to dismiss the incident as her having caught him off guard and she'd get money from someone else. Didn't do any good.

Something about the girl gave him the impression that she was much more needy than anyone he'd ever encountered. Maybe it was the way she sat patiently, on cement, at the entrance to the boarded up old pizza shop. Perhaps it was that she was slim, maybe to the point of frail, somehow evading gaunt. He saw that she was pretty; much more so than the girls at the university who dressed the same way. And she sat more upright than them, held a straighter posture, and was evidently more gracious. Hands cupped. Legs together. Not blinking her black marble eyes. This was very odd. He'd remember her fifty years from now, he knew it. Thought of her as the virgin pauper princess, on whom the magic wand of poverty cast a spell. Not her fault that she was homeless, without food, without boyfriend. Nothing she could do about it. Needed help.

All this sifted through his mind as he walked on, ignoring the few oncomers, his eyes glued to the coin held by the forefingers of both his hands, studying every conceivable angle. As he passed into bright sunlight and the rays hit the coin square -causing a penetrating reflection- Russ shielded the coin with one hand and focused in on it. Even as he ambled across the street; even though he hadn't checked the walk signal.

One thing was certain: he wished he would have given the girl his dollar. To say the least. Wished he'd looked her in the eye, like she did to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home