.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Games I Play

This blog contains my personal written work, fiction and non-fiction. Please don’t steal any of it from me (you know the rules) or I'll have to hunt you down and whack you senseless with a heavy, wet newspaper. I started this blog because I was looking for a place to post my stories. I have come to find it's a good place to "spout off." As they say in the introduction to WWE’s Monday Night Raw, ‘Some material may be offensive to some people. Viewer discretion is advised.’

My Photo
Name:
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

In the never-ending search for ever-elusive happiness, a small semblance of stability, hair-stand-on-end adventure and distant travel, the ultimate physical conquest, the perfect meal, a peaceful moment to end a harried day, a dream that doesn’t need to come true but simply must keep returning, and certain lurid things my mom wouldn’t want anyone to read about here or anywhere else, I try to find my unique and distinct place in the world through honest and forthright means of communication. In 1997 I authored and self-published a novel about a belligerent and spirited young man in the process of meeting and ushering along his adult fate. In the advertising I created for it, I wrote a little something about myself that I'd say still applies today: "Most of all, I am prolific and dedicated ... My work expresses an intense imagination and street-wiseness. It is usually reality-based, alternately amusing and poignant; often laden with my deeply facetious sense of humour. At this point in my life, I find myself drawn to tales of misguided youth and people on the brink of insanity, and stories of folks struggling to make peace with themselves and their environment."

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Game of Tactics with a Moron

The moron frog cast a spell on me so well that he might have considered it hilarious, had he had a good sense of humour.

He was a moron because I had him cornered and he didn't seem interested in doing anything about it. He just stood there, facing the tree base, his fours seemingly locked. He'd hopped into the area between two jutting roots of the giant willow, and now he was stuck. Maybe he knew it. I don't know; I couldn't see his face. I was crouched behind him, studying his lumpy backside, fascinated by his puffing cheeks; mesmerized by his incomprehensible lack of movement.

I figured he should be desperate. He should leap, over and over onto the tree base, banging his tiny head each time, yet never fatiguing in his bid to escape certain capture. But he was still, the wily little moron. He was still, and I didn't have a clue why.

Suddenly, it was 1979, in the Dalewood schoolyard. Steve Kerfoot was cocky and pimple-faced, and the consummate athlete. He was in my face, cursing me. I didn't know it, but my touch football team had challenged his to a rumble. Now I was the only team member he could find. I was tall and skinny, with big ears and no courage, and I'd just walked out of the school. He pushed me once, enough to startle me. A small crowd gathered. My voice was shaking as I asked him what he wanted me for. He put his finger in my face, and spit the explanation at me. He was out to get whoever he could find. I begged for mercy. He was remorseless. He pushed me over and over, backing me up each time, until he was sure that he'd succeeded in terrifying me. I was cowering, and was near tears. "Don't mess with me again, you got it?" he shouted. I nodded wildly. A smug look covered his faced. Then he ambled away, scot-free, his teammates lauding him. It was over and I was humiliated.

This frog made me think of what Steve did to me, and that's why I didn't assault him. I felt for him and his compromising situation. My plan was to play him like a game of chess. I'd move only after he'd completed his move. We were immersed in a battle of tactics. It was my cunning versus his instincts and agility. For now, I crouched behind him and watched him, and awaited his next move.

My knees were sore, I needed to stand. But how was I going to stand without his interpreting it as an attack? I'd be humiliated if he got spooked out and leapt away undetected. It would be Steve Kerfoot all over again. Only worse. Now I was twenty-six, strong and brave.

Slowly, I backed up a step and sat down on the ground; and backed right onto a tree root. It grooved too perfectly into the valley between my cheeks, and I winced; but I was careful, and didn't make a sound.

It was 1991, in the examining room of the medical clinic in west end Montreal. In my underwear, I waited for the doctor. Scheduled was my test for lactose intolerance. I had no idea what the test was. He came in and told me I'd have to remove my underwear. Maybe that's why I don't recall anything about the doctor. Faced with the prospect of a test involving my naked flesh, I think it is understandable that I wouldn't recall anything but my apprehension. I watched the doctor as he walked over to his equipment shelf. When he turned around, he had in his hand a cylindrical object. It was long, round, hollow, and plastic, and looked a lot like a turkey baster.


I was starting to change my mind. Maybe the frog wasn't a moron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home